Five Travel Destinations I Dream of Rediscovering

When it comes to home, London is the city I love. It stays with me through the highs and lows. It earns my loyalty and companionship. It tires but never bores. I nurture and cherish it. Perhaps one day, I will feel an urge to depart but it’s been thirteen years and so far, no sign.

When it comes to travel though, an alter ego arises – one always on a voyage to discover new lands, hear new languages, see new cultures. It is almost a taboo to admit you just want to go back to somewhere you love so when the friendly folk at Booked.net asked me to select five locations that I would love to rediscover as part of their Booked.netTop Destinations to Go There campaign, it forced me to think about which destinations have had that magnetic pull on me. (It felt almost brutal making the cut and I could have easily doubled this list!)

New York City, USA

Hands down, this was the easiest answer to any travel question I’ve ever been asked. I first met with this electric city at the tender age of 3 and fantasised about it for the rest of my days. I’ve been twice in the last six years, re-visiting many of the same sites as well as seeing new ones and my crystal ball is hoping for a return trip within the next year or two (one can hope!)

Times Square New York City night light viewThe Maldives

I’ll be truthful and confess that when we were planning our honeymoon, this was one destination that we didn’t even consider. I love beaches and islands but I had so many reservations about somewhere so hyped up. It was only when we were headed to Sri Lanka anyway that Pumpkin astutely pointed out how nearby it was. As soon as we arrived in The Maldives, we realised just how wrong we had been.Kurumba Maldives turquoise waterThe islands of The Maldives are spectacular with the most glorious beaches I’ve ever seen. We were so awestruck that we didn’t need to do anything other than snorkel in the warm water, gaze at the incredible marine life and nestle our feet in the soft sand. It has only been a year and we’re already hatching a cunning plan to return….maybe even in a water villa (I’m hoping Pumpkin is reading this and digging deep in his pockets).

Tanzania

I think you always have a soft spot for the place you honeymoon, at least if the honeymoon overall went smoothly. For me, there was the added magic of it being my first experience on African soil and my first safari. The wonderful wildlife, habitat and animals were mesmerising but what really made the trip for us was the warmth, sincerity and kindness of the Tanzanian people. We both dream of returning one day and seeing more of this incredible country.giraffe safari Selous TanzaniaFlorence, Italy

For a long time, I proclaimed Florence was my favourite European city after I went there on a Mum- daughter trip a few years ago. I am now torn between Florence and Ljubljana but there is no doubt that the charm, magic and intimacy I felt towards Florence has left me wanting to return there to experience it all again and to take Pumpkin with me this time. Memories of the indoor food market, the ornate, century-old pharmacy, the abundance of irresistible gelaterias and open piazzas hold a fond place in my heart.florence duomoBuenos Aires, Argentina

I finally headed to South America earlier this year and felt an instant affinity with Argentina’s glamorous capital city. I can’t even say that I would consider it one of the more beautiful cities I have visited aesthetically it but I felt as if it was a place I could live in (if my Spanish were a little better that is!)Casa Rosada Buenos Aires pink buildingIn some ways, it very much reminded me of London with numerous parks, markets, eclectic bars and restaurants, fashionable but not pretentious and yet it had the benefit of the obvious continental European influence with open squares, cafe culture and creamy gelato (are you spotting a theme?) If I returned to Buenos Aires, it wouldn’t even be to see the sights but rather to have more time to walk around and soak up the atmosphere of this buzzing city.

You’ve heard my choices. Now I’d love to hear yours so feel free to leave a comment and let me know where you dream of revisiting!

And as the final part of the challenge, I nominate these fabulous travel bloggers to write about their 5 chosen destinations to return to – looking forward to reading your responses!

Mrs Ayla’s Adventures

Slightly Astray

Taylor Hearts Travel

Katherine’s Travels

Travel with Molly

Disclaimer: All bloggers participating in this campaign have the opportunity to win a brand spanking new iphone 6.

16 thoughts on “Five Travel Destinations I Dream of Rediscovering

1. Ahhh there’s a challenge afoot? I wondered why some bloggers have been writing about 5 places to rediscover. Very jealous you’ve been to Tanzania and Maldives. A great selection there!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 8, 2014 — 9:45 pm

Thanks Andrew! Yep that’s the reason why there’s so many posts like this about at the moment – I too had been wondering what on earth was going on!! Both Maldives and Tanzania were wonderful – it’s really the only part of Africa I’ve visited so I’d love to return there and also see some of the other parts of southern Africa too. Thanks for commenting 🙂

2. Nice and inspiring choices. I wonder if I should adjust my view on the Maldives…

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 8, 2014 — 9:47 pm

Thank you for the kind words Mette 🙂 You know, I too had had so many reservations and had been quite dismissive about the Maldives – I was genuinely so surprised (and blown away) when I saw how beautiful it was! It is really mainly just beach activities – it’s not somewhere I would necessarily travel to for much else but the beaches are truly stunning!

3. It’s so hard to narrow it down to just 5!! Almost every place I visit, I leave saying that I must go back, because there’s always new things to see and eat!

I love your picks! I haven’t been to the 1st four on your list, but I’m wanderlusting after all of them. And the only place I’m not dying to go back to is Buenos Aires, because I just didn’t like it too much after spending a month there. But to date, BA has the best desserts/sweets scene I’ve ever seen… so I wouldn’t terribly hate it either if I happen to find myself back there someday 🙂

Thanks so much for nominating me! I can’t wait to share my places!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 8, 2014 — 9:49 pm

I’m so looking forward to reading your choices – I’m finding it really interesting how different everyone’s choices are! We were only in BA for a few days and I think I just loved the foodie scene and cafe culture so would love to just have had a longer time to take that all in but I might have felt differently myself if I’d been there for a whole month! Thanks for reading Anna 🙂

4. Great choices! I’ve never been to any of them – but Florence is high on my list….as is anywhere with gelato, so maybe I should add Buenos Aires as well….. Thanks so much for the nomination! I got asked too, so I’ve already chosen my five (and you’re right, it was so difficult to choose just five! http://travelwithmolly.com/2014/08/21/rewinding-and-revisiting-five-places-id-love-to-go-back-to/). I’m so pleased you thought of me, though!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 8, 2014 — 9:52 pm

Oh that’s no problem Molly – I had a peek round your blog before nominating you to check but I obviously just failed to spot this and more spooky than that, I’ve just noticed that you nominated me too!! How’s that for a strange coincidence?! If you like gelato, I think you and I would get on quite well 😀 I liked the intimacy of Florence and it was just that little bit less crowded and easier to walk around in than some of the other bigger cities I had seen in Italy – but I have a soft spot for Italy in general – still so many parts of it I want to see one day!

5. Great picks and thanks for the nomination! Although you do realise that if I start thinking about this then you’ll have Alex to answer to for me nagging him about another trip! 😉 I’m pretty sure Tanzania would be one of mine as well and I’d love to go back to Argentina as I hardly saw any of the country at all. The Maldives sounds blissful right now!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 8, 2014 — 9:54 pm

Haha, yes even while writing this post, I was mentally spending money by the second wondering which one of these places to go back to first and when!! Looking forward to seeing your choices – I’m guessing one (or more) of the southern African countries might be on your list too but I’ll wait and see 🙂

1. You know me so well…I have 2 on my list!

6. Thanks for the nomination, Shikah! It’s so interesting reading other’s top five. I’ve been to Florence, NYC and Africa, but I don’t seem to feel the same excitement. Perhaps I need to give them a second chance too?!

We also looked at The Maldives for our honeymoon, but were worried there was too much hype. You’ve convinced me to try it! The picture looks stunning. X

P.S. You call your husband Pumpkin? LOVE that! So cute!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 8, 2014 — 10:04 pm

Haha, I’m glad you love it Char because he most definitely does not!! I sometimes call him Pumpkin at home so when I started the blog, the name kind of stuck and now, almost everyone we know teases him!! The Maldives took me a bit by surprise in that respect – the water is actually that turquoise and the photo is totally unedited! It’s interesting how your take on those places was quite different to mine – this is why I’ve really enjoyed reading other travel bloggers’ posts on this because everyone’s combination of places is so unique and contrasting! Looking forward to seeing yours 🙂

7. Very well written 😀 I couldnt agree more with you, though I’ve never been to Tanzania nor to Buenos Aires. Great choices 😀

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 12, 2014 — 5:07 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words – really appreciate it 🙂 It’s always hard choosing “favourite” places as there are just so many beautiful destinations across the world!

1. You’re welcome!! You are right, its a very hard decision… probably as hard as choosing your next destination! 🙂