The Blog At The Beach Travel Blogger Event

From the very start of our married life, Pumpkin and I (rather inadvertently) found ourselves in a bit of a summer, beach rhythm, dozing under the protective breadth of shady parasols and pronged palm leaves. The journey started on the aromatic spice island, Zanzibar, during our honeymoon. The following year, the azure lagoons of the Maldives beckoned after a hectic week in Sri Lanka and last year, we dipped our toes into the all-inclusive world in Cuba. image

In truth though, the UK is often at its most glorious during July and August so this summer, we intentionally decided to leave our diaries relatively barren and beach-free – until that is, Ice Lolly Holidays read my mind and got in touch to propose a beach day of their very own! Beach travel blogger event

This time, the location was Leeds. Yes boys and girls, I bet you did not realise that beach spirit could come into fruition in a student city in Northern England but a few deck chairs and bubbling cocktails down the line, this particular group of travel bloggers were readily convinced 😀

Why Waste Annual Leave travel blogger
A Monkey, a Mocktail and Me

Blog At The Beach with Ice Lolly Holidays

Joking aside, from the little time I had there, Leeds exuded a friendly and lively vibe. I only wish I could have spent a little longer exploring the city but this was a geeky day where I had woken up at 5.30am (unheard of for me) to make the trip up from London, armed with a notepad and pen. I am a bit of a grandma so by pen, I mean pen – not keyboard – and by paper, I mean paper – not fancy schmancy tablet / gadget / techno what-not.Architecture Leeds England

Blog At The Beach Talks

On the educational menu for the day were three great speakers including Robb from the WMG Agency, Monica from The Travel Hack (one of the first travel blogs I started reading) and Greg from Travizeo. One of Monica’s key messages was the importance of demonstrating personality in blog posts and Ice Lolly themselves mirrored that sentiment perfectly by selecting three engaging speakers, each with very different personalities but exhibiting such charisma and passion for what they do. Perhaps even more credit-worthy was their ability to pitch their talks so that they would be useful to all of us despite the range of bloggers in the room.

funky beach costume sunglasses

Robb got me pondering about all the things I could be doing to improve SEO and he had the kind of humble approach that made me feel like I could ask even the silliest questions. Monica provided valuable insight into how we can work with brands without compromising our integrity or selling our souls and Greg’s exhilarating video footage prompted me to get thinking that the concepts of self-consciousness and camera shyness are SO yesterday and the future of blogging is studded with inspirational video.

Monica Travel Hack blogger talkI suspected we would be fed well and had fortunately saved space for the lunch that was served after the first talk.Ice Lolly Holiday blog event Considering it was a buffet, they certainly did not hold back on quantities and I loaded my plate with about three times as much food as was probably necessary but I must make special reference to the cute platter of mini scones and the squidgy, heavenly chocolate brownies.Blog At The Beach lunchchocolate dipped strawberriesmini scones platterA wave of excitement was surging at The Alchemist stall, a bar in Leeds renowned for conjuring up innovative cocktails and a more straight-faced mango and passion fruit mocktail for the non-drinkers among us.Blog At The Beach cocktails Ice Lolly

The day was paced out well with plenty of breaks to socialise with fellow bloggers.

Myself and Emily AKA The Cosy Traveller made the most of the beach games available.

blogger event Why Waste Annual Leave

And I finally met Emma from Adventures of a London Kiwi fame, who educated me about the different properties of chocolate brownies –  definitely one of life’s happier conversations, which I think is apparent in this photo!

Travel Blogger Events England
Photo Credit: Ice Lolly Holidays

As we left, we picked up our goody bags and clearly, they know their audience; with the amount of tweeting and Instagramming that goes on at any blogger event, the rechargeable battery pack was a well preempted gift to end the day with.

Blog At The Beach goody bag

Have you got any upcoming beach breaks?

Many thanks to Ice Lolly Holidays for hosting me and for such a well organised and enjoyable event.

19 thoughts on “The Blog At The Beach Travel Blogger Event

1. Sounds like you had a fun day! Wish I had been there to try on those super cool glasses with you 😉

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 11, 2015 — 8:33 pm

Oh that would have been so much fun Ayla – we could have taken some silly snaps and ended them to our crazy photo booth pics so far! Next time definitely ☺

2. Leeds is a really nice city, and this must have been really interesting – they certainly put on a great spread

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 11, 2015 — 8:33 pm

They did so well considering it was their first event of this type Suze! I only wish I’d had a bit more time to explore Leeds itself!

3. #Brownies. Them aside, it was such a lovely day and it was so nice to meet you!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 11, 2015 — 8:35 pm

Haha, I can verify that brownies have been consumed at the event and since the event over in my corner of London! It was so great to finally meet you after sooo long!

4. Ahhh..I couldn’t make this as it was father in law’s birthday but it looked really useful. I lived in Leeds for a year when I was doing an MA 🙂 Lovely city.
    Lots of love,
    Angie
    SilverSpoon London

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 11, 2015 — 8:37 pm

Probably a good call Angie – no one wants to be in the dog house with their in laws :mrgreen: I can imagine it must have been a lovely city to study in as it had a really fun and friendly atmosphere to it, though I didn’t get much of a chance to see the city itself so it’d be good to return one day!

5. I couldn’t make this as I was in Spain at the weekend but it looks as though you had a fun time and learnt lots (I’m talking brownies here!) I agree with the pen and paper – I get so much more done without the distractions that come with a tablet or pc…

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 11, 2015 — 8:40 pm

I’m glad it’s not just me Suzanne! Yes, I had hoped I would learn a bit about blogging but certainly wasn’t expecting the added insight into brownies :mrgreen: Such a shame you weren’t there, as it would have been lovely to finally meet you but Spain must have been just lovely at this time of year! Hope you enjoyed it – which part did you go to?

6. I’m in Yorkshire so often, but never at the right time! Looks like great fun, and so summery too!
    Also, how cute are those mini scones!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 11, 2015 — 8:42 pm

Aah I thought you might like those – cute huh?! Aww shame you weren’t near Leeds that day – would have been good to catch up after so long. It was actually quite refreshing for me to go to an event like this out of London for once!

1. Are you going to Blogstock? Be great to see you again there!

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 19, 2015 — 6:56 pm

Aah sadly I can’t make it Rach as it would have been great to see you again!

7. Oh my goodness, my sister and I used to love those little Velcro catch things (I have no idea what they’re actually called!) Looks like a fun event and also really useful to get some blogging tips 🙂

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) August 19, 2015 — 7:12 pm

My sister and I used to have one too Emily!! And I too don’t know what they’re even called :mrgreen: It was quite a fun event actually and a nice mini escape from London too!

8. That’s awesome! What a cool event 😀
    I am certainly a beach girl too! Next beach break: Brazil 😀

1. Shikha (whywasteannualleave) September 15, 2015 — 10:15 pm

How exciting Allane! When are you off to Brazil? It was a great event which brought some much needed sunshine to a rainy week in England ☺

1. In 2 weeks I will be in Brazil visiting my family 😀
        I will make to enjoy the beach for you too!